Saturday, October 20, 2007

Summer Lover

I look down at my painted toes. The nail polish has begun to chip. It seems fitting that as fall approaches, summer is being chipped away. I put my spring/summer clothes away. Pinks, pastels, light fabric. Not only light in color and weight but in mood. I bring out the fall/winter clothes. Mostly made up of warm browns and black, heavier fabric. Not only dark in color and heavy in weight but in mood.

I hang up the warmer clothes and look at my toes. My toes don't go with the clothes. Still trying to squeeze a little summer out of an abnormally warm autumn day. The sky is blue and the trees have started their annual change. The mood lightens. Change is good.

As I wipe the summer color off my toes, I am wiping the last bit of summer off of me. I think of what is to come and what is to be looked forward to. Soon it will be cold and my toes will be hidden. It's not such a bad thing I decide. I like my winter shoes, snuggling up with a good book on my comfy couch and a warm fire in the fireplace.

So long summer, my friend. I'll see you next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very visual. Loved it. Gosh, you're a great writer. Your mother must be proud! M

Jennicula said...

Maybe I'll paint you a verbal picture some day.

Anonymous said...

Probably better that you don't. Thanks anyway. LZ