How stupid did I feel when I was completely broken up about my cat?
I tried to keep the family drama hush-hush but I couldn't hide the wavering lips as I crumbled to ask for a day off. The little voice in my head kept telling me that my feelings were ridiculous.
It's just a stupid cat.
I took my personal day from work and took care of my family through our tragedy.
I needed the day. It was not a good day for me. I cried for most of it and whimpered when I wasn't actually crying.
When I returned to work on Monday I had my emotions under control and was ready to get back to work. Put my grief into mad paper shuffling.
To my surprise there were cards and flowers on my desk just waiting for my arrival.
I had arrived before many of my co-workers, so the office was quiet and I could have a private moment to open cards and smell the flowers.
Each card was signed with heartfelt condolences and a level of understanding I hadn't expected.
It was wonderful.
I could tell the evil little voice in my head to finally, "Shut up!"
Yeah, I lost my fuzzy buddy and it broke my heart, but that's ok. It's good to be sad for that reason. It's ok to miss him and laugh about the things he did.
There are other people in this world who totally understand what I was going through and they're no nuttier than I am.
ps - and then I'm done
2 comments:
I'm glad you had such support from co-workers. He may have "just been a cat", but Charley is still alive in my heart after 15 or so years! It's okay to mourn for them. Eventually the pain will go away, and the joy they brought will be what remains.
Oh wow, that was so nice to get such support from your co-workers. It must be nice to know that people care and don't think you are daft to get upset about a cat. Cats are family too xxx
Post a Comment