Friday, February 10, 2017

Snow Bound...


Like a child might, I eagerly anticipated the first real taste of winter this week.

As a kid growing up, I never had that excitement. Not because I didn’t care, but because regionally, it did not snow ever. You had to drive 2 hours to actually touch snow. And even then, I never actually saw it actively falling from the sky.

As an adult, I look forward to a good snow storm. Not the kind that takes down trees and power lines and threatens the lives of people just trying to sit it out in the safety of their homes. I’ve learned about the scary part of winter storms. But I still get excited when the weather reports indicate snow is on the way.

No, I want a good snow storm that you wake up to. Where there’s already a good layer of snow on the ground. Work or school is closed for the day and I’m warm and toasty in my home.

A fire would be blazing in the hearth and the old comfy couch beckoning me. A stack of books next to it to choose from on this lazy day. Oh, how I do love those lazy days.

Would I get out of my pajamas? I don’t know. It would seem that I really wouldn’t need to. I’m going to snuggle up in a blanket my mother made and tuck into a good book.

Would I use my time wisely and do laundry, dust furniture, scrub the tub? I doubt it.

I think that when you get a free day like a Snow Day, you shouldn’t have to work if you don’t want to. You should play, relax, have fun. The world outside your home has stopped for but a moment to take a pause and a breath. You should too.

Enjoy the whisper of snow falling from the heavens. The hush it places over the earth as it blankets your mediocre yard to make it appear as a winter wonderland.

5 comments:

MissTottenham said...

I love a bit of snow too. Not enough for a storm, but enough for a good crunchy covering. That moment when you leave the house and yours are the only footprints, all the way down the path. I want Amelie to experience that.

I too love to look out on the falling snow while it's all snuggy warm inside and I'm in my PJ's. It's the best. then you have to have hot chocolate and some scrummy biccy's.

I'm glad your step-mum is doing alright. My Auntie is in the process of having scans and we'll have to wait once again for more results. What we know so far is that it went into 4 lymph nodes and she'll need chemo, 6 lots. Just gotta do all this scanning first. She had her bone scan today but they never tell you when you'll get the results. Her cat scan is in the 27th, I'll keep you updated.

Aw bless, that's a lovely story. We didn't get anything really snow wise so I'm still waiting for that moment with Amelie, though we do bundle her up in her snow suit and pop her willies on and let her do some serious puddle sploshing.

jennicula was here said...

You're right about the footprints in the snow. I like to walk down my driveway part way and then back track back up so it looks like my walking stopped in the middle of nowhere. Just like I disappeared.

It was spring like weather this weekend. Too warm and weird for February. We'll probably go right back to winter next week, get a huge snow storm and then everybody will get sick from going from cold to hot to cold.

Best wishes to your Auntie. The waiting is the worst. I know the doctors are used to this, but I think they forget about the anxiety you can get just waiting for the results. Step mum is doing ok. She's having some issues that needs a doctor visit, so we'll see.

Puddle sploshing - I loved puddle sploshing. Now I'm too old. I get cranky when my shoes and socks get wet.

MissTottenham said...

It's been super gale weather here. Totally ruined my umbrella today. Thank god that's this working week done and I don't need to leave the house if I don't want to.

I hope your step-mum gets her issues sorted. I hate having a collection of niggles that makes you have to get off your arse to see the Dr.

My Auntie had her bone scan the other day but we haven't heard the results yet. She has a cat scan on Monday and she's been to the dentist cos you have to get your teeth sorted before chemo as you can't have anything done during the weeks of treatment.

Just waiting for results now and treatment to start.

jennicula said...

I don’t envy your weather. It’s been super spring-like. As a matter of fact, today it’s shorts weather. Not that I can wear them at work, but believe me, I’ll be barefooting it when I get home. Only a few more hours and I’m done for the week also. I have no plans other than nothing.

Step-mum is doing alright. She’s a mess on a good day and has been for 25 years. I can’t imagine living like that for so long. If anything, when I’m whining about my aches and pains, I do think of her and remind myself that life could be so much worse. That usually will get me to stop and be thankful for my own problems.

Other than being poked and prodded, how are your Aunties spirits? Teeth sorted. I never thought of that. I guess I should be thankful that there’s a whole bunch of stuff I don’t know because I haven’t needed to. Does she know when she can start her treatments?

Is it just me or did February fly by? I know it’s a shorter month, but it seems like it was only yesterday and it was the 1st of the month.

How is that little girl and her Wellies? Tis the season for splashing around in them.

MissTottenham said...

Little Madam is very happy, I went to playgroup with her today and we had a great time.

She absolutely loves pinching bits of my big girls food. She sits on my knee leaning back like she's chilling with her leg slung over the side of mine and a smug look on her face cos she's got some big girls food. You should see that little smug face, she looks so proud of herself.

Auntie Anne had her bone scan, she's had her cat scan and she was due to have a heart scan, but when she turned up she couldn't cos they hadn't bothered telling her that she had to stop taking her beta blockers first. It's been rescheduled for next week. It won't stop her having the chemo which I think starts next week. She's still having physio and having difficulty raising her arm, she'll need to be able to do that before she can have her radiotherapy. At least when she starts the chemo, she's got 18 weeks until she needs to do that. She'll have 6 chemo's over 18 weeks.

I went to the breast clinic today. My sis came with me and we all talked over the family history. She'll refer me for yearly mammograms and sis can too cos she's 40 this year. We can take tamoxifen for 5 years but when you do start, it will bring on menopause symptoms. You can choose when to take it but if you are healthy, you may lose out my bringing on the menopause so it's better to start it when you start the menopause cos you'll already have the symptoms anyway and have nothing to lose. You take it for 5 years but then it continues to protect you for 10 - 15 years after that. To have average chances of getting it, which are 1 in 8 women, they count up the amount of women in the family that have encountered cancer. In our group it was 4 out of 12 women, which gives us a moderately better chance of getting it as we are more then the average, that's why we can have the mammograms.

I hope that we get shorts wearing weather like you but I doubt it. Send some this way.