My eyes tilt up towards the sky just as the explosion of red, white, and blue burst out into twinkles.
The screaming of the whistlers as they fall towards the ground. A trail of golden dust following them all the way down.
The boom of the firework rattles my chest cavity as the sound blasts through me and echoes off the hill behind me. A double whammy.
I can't keep the smile off my face.
I love fireworks. The bigger the better.
Always have and always will.
The moment I know these gems are in the neighborhood, I can feel the skip in my step. A smile creeps onto my face I can't help it. They make me happy. I don't want to miss it.
Small displays.
Large displays.
Hell, I even love sparklers.
Maybe because I remember as a kid a time when my neighborhood would hold a block parties. Kids would run around shooting off fireworks and chowing on hamburgers and watermelon. The colorful bursts in the air seemed all that more magical then. The smell of spent gunpowder wafting through the orange haze.
Maybe because when I was a teen, my friends and I would take the boat out on the lake and watch from there. The colors blasted into the air reflected in the water would make the fish jump as if they were going after pink hued fireflies. The "ooohs" and "Ahs" just like when we were all so much younger.
Maybe because I watched my son look up in wonder. Being scared of the first "Foomp" as the firework was catapulted into the sky and then the first "Kaboom!" as it burst into a flaming flower hovering above our heads - and then seeing the smile. His smile. His excitement.
I get to experience the magic again through his eyes.
How cool is that?
2 comments:
Too F***ing cool.
I hope you all had an amazing 4th July, or as we Brits like to call it "The thank god we got rid of them day".
xxxxxxx
I love it!
We have an English gentleman living in our neighborhood and he's always very quiet on the 4th. I'm not sure what he does on that day, but his home is always dark as if nobody were home. Maybe he's hiding from the crazies lighting fireworks.
Our celebration was quiet this year. We were away and in a strange part of the country. Apparently the entire town shuts down to get ready for the show. We stayed in but heard the windows rattle as the biggest of the explosions went off.
I ran outside to see what I could see and all I could see was the glow beyond the buildings across the street. I was a stranger in town and didn't know my way, but I have to tell you, if I'm ever there for the 4th again, I know where to go for the biggest and best display.
Post a Comment