Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Does it really matter?

Who cares - what color you are?
 
What your creed is?
 
What your gender might be?
 
Who you love?
 
 
 
 
 
We are human.
 
 
We should all be treated equally as such.
 
 
If you're a jerk, it doesn't matter color/creed/gender/love - you're a jerk. 
 
 
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" (Matthew 22:37-39)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ps - except for people who enjoy eating raisins. There's something wrong with those people.
 

4 comments:

MissTottenham said...

I've always said that I will judge people on their actions and nothing else. But I don't have a problem with people eating raisins lol, I find people who eat marmite or haggis more disturbing.

It's been a crazy time, I cannot believe how the American police have been allowed to get away with this kind of behaviour for so long. This Black lives matter shouldn't have had to happen because it just should be natural. It's been unfortunate in some circumstances that it's happened during a pandemic but I guess what happened was the straw that broke the camels back and you can't predict when that will happen.

We all have a bit of racism in us the we are not always aware of but I think how you treat people is what counts.

Back in the 1990's a black teenager was stabbed to death by white boys and no-one was imprisoned for many, many years. There was an investigation into the handling and it found that the police were institutionally racist, so much change has occurred there. We don't hear week in week out about police brutality because we have an independent police commission that investigates complaints made about the police. Police also have to refer themselves in cases where, maybe they visited an abuse victim but didn't arrest the abuser who went on to kill them. If there has been police intervention before a death, it has to be investigated. Also, if our armed police have to be called out and a shot is fired, even if the bullet hit a tree, every shot has to be investigated. It really sounds like your police could do with something like that.

Something needs to be done, it seems like every week you hear about someone killed by American police. We can't believe that here cos we just don't have that, I guess it helps that our police are not armed (apart from the armed police team that are called out to emergencies) as standard so they can't shoot people willy nilly.

Does it seem like changes are happening with the police? What has been said over there. I know they are firing officers involved but will there be an investigation into all police like we had?

I'm glad people are not out on the streets now though because with covid happening, I thought that should have been avoided. I hope the cases hasn't risen to crazy levels after that.

Over here, we are relaxing lockdown measures bit by bit, but with the scorching weather this week, thousands of people flooded to certain beaches so there will be an investigation.

Crazy times.

MissTottenham said...

I also wanted to ask about your equality laws in the US. We have really good ones. I wondered what the situation is like there?

Anonymous said...

If you take everyones skin off we would all look alike. Except we would probably still look female or male, but who knows. People who enjoy eating raisins would probably all be wrinkly.
Bizzy Lizzy

Jennicula said...

Hi MissT,

I judge people by their actions, not by anything else. I might agree with you on haggis, but I don’t know what marmite is. Is it like vegemite – because that stuff is disgusting.

American police, justice, court systems etc. have been allowed to get away with it because it was never recorded/documented. While there are laws in the country to prevent discrimination, when you go to court and are tried by 12 of your peers, which seems like a good idea and fair, it winds up being unfair. Police are slapped on the wrist at best for horrible things they have done. Sometimes they are moved into different departments, but a lot of times that doesn’t even happen. It’s like the priests who molest children. They’re moved to another parish and everything is hush-hush. That issue is only now being addressed and that’s been going on for quite a while too.

The Anti-Lynching Bill was first introduced in 1918 and still has not been established as a federal crime. And Lynching is a horrible thing. We just had a black man run down and killed by 3 white men because they thought he stole something. The man was out jogging. The Anti-Lynching law would have prosecuted the 3 white men federally. At this point, they might get a couple years in jail – not an automatic life sentence. The Equal Rights Amendment is just an amendment and there are still states who have not officially adopted it. Only 37 of the 50 states have adopted it. The Civil Rights Act only protects discrimination in the job act for race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin – and only 21 states of 50 have anti-discrimination laws.

You are right about an independent police commissions who are not part of the police department. People who are not tied to the police and then turn a blind eye. And I think they need education. Don’t get me wrong. I support our local police. My best friend’s husband was a police officer. A damn good one and he was a good person on top of it. We need more Joes of the world.

The police who have been lately caught on video are being fired, but it takes too long for them to be charged with a crime. And, I think the only reason why they are being charged is because of protests.

I agree, I think we all have tainted views on certain people. Maybe because that’s how we were raised or because it’s been our experience with that group. I try to be better than that and give that person the benefit of doubt before I judge.

So while we have some laws, they are not necessarily adhered to. It’s a broken system and politicians are too afraid to pony up and solidify these laws.
It’s a tough time in America.

As for Covid, all sorts of states have relaxed their lockdowns and now we’re spiking because people are stupid. They think that since the lockdowns are eased, life is back to normal, and it’s not. The virus is still out there and it’s still killing people. I see flocks of people at the beach not wearing masks and I get so angry. It’s these stupid bastards who are going to extend this lockdown. I want to go to the beach too. But I don’t want to die because I went to the beach.


Bizzy – my son once asked why his friend had brown skin and he had pink. I told him that’s the way God made us. It would be too boring if we all looked exactly alike. Then I went into the whole taking the skin off and how we’d be exactly the same and then he barfed on me.