Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Patience of a Saint...

 I slowly turn in my chair and peer longingly out the open window.

 

The sounds of crickets and cicadas fill the summer air. A bird chirps in the apple tree.

 

It is calming – being one with nature if not in body but by spirit.

 

I close my eyes and imagine a cool breeze drifting over my skin with a kiss of Autumn on it’s breath.

 

The goosebumps rise on my shoulders and arms as if I were actually able to manifest both a breeze and lower temperature.

 

The rustle of fallen leaves are too faint for me to hear. The crickets sing loudly as if to push the sound of Fall off a little further.

 

I imagine the damp smell of the earth as the leaves decompose. Again, like a wisp of smoke that I can’t grab, it slips through my mental fingers as if it were never there.

 

My eyes open and I still see a summer scene in my yard. Green grass and trees. Birds flying everywhere. Squirrels doing squirrel things.

 

My imagination coffee break is over and I must crunch numbers and tune out nature and my wishes for the time being.

 

Tomorrow I’m going to imagine a huge snow storm, a fire in the fireplace, chocolate chip cookies cooling on the counter, and me reading a book by the fire.

 

4 comments:

MissTottenham said...

The daydream of the snowstorm, open fire and cookies sounds beautiful. I know you love the Autumn as we call it. Why do you guys call it fall? I always imagined it was cos the leaves fall off the trees xxx

Anonymous said...

Believe me, I'm so looking forward to the cooler weather. Here's a little FYI on Harvest, Autumn, and Fall


Why do we call it fall?
We have evidence for fall, as the name of the third season of the year, in the 1500s. It appears to come from the notion of the falling of the leaves during this time of year, when deciduous trees shed their leaves.

Like harvest, fall is found in Old English, from Germanic roots, and its sense largely stayed the same. Fall was common in England until about the end of the 1600s, when it was ousted by autumn.

Recorded as early as the late 1300s, autumn is from the French autompne and Latin autumnus, whose deeper roots are obscure. Chaucer and Shakespeare both used it in their works, notably.

Now, American English speakers use both fall and autumn, though fall became more common in the US by the late 1800s. Speakers of British English largely use autumn. Fall provides a nice foil to its opposite season, spring (from the idea of the spring of the leaf). It gives us the helpful reminder, “Spring forward, fall back,” when we get confused about our clocks on daylight savings.

Bizzy Lizzy said...

That's really profound and very, very visual. Love your writing. Keep it up, Girl!

MissTottenham said...

Madam #2 is a lot more bolshie than her big sister, when they argue, she does go in with the teeth. Bless madam #1, she doesn't fight back, she just cries and we have to tell the little one off. We don't know where she gets it from cos Amelie doesn't do that. She definitely doesn't take any crap. Her new thing when she doesn't want to do anything is to hold a part of her body and shout "ow, hurt", it's all fake. She's not daft.

Amelie is back at school and not enjoying it. She admits that it's not the school she hates but the fact that none of her family are there. She has to stay for lunch this week and next week, she'll start doing full days. Lord help us, she is not gonna be happy.

I thought the fall thing was because of the leaves falling down. That was very interesting, you have done your homework. I wonder if other countries go with the fall thing or the autumn thing?

There are rumblings about us getting rid of daylight savings time. I'm sure when Brexit is done and covid is done, people will start back on with all those things again. I don't mind either way, I just don't like catching the bus in the dark in the winter. I really hope all my Uni lessons are online. I still don't know what that will look like.

Enjoy your fall, I know many people like it but to me it just reminds me that it'll be bus stops in the dark soon. I'm a summer girl, I love looking out of the window late in the evening and it still being light.