Thursday, March 18, 2021

Time flies when you're having fun.... not!

One year ago this week my company sent everybody home in a panic. It was literally like a fire drill, only we were to take everything from our desks and go home. It was a mad scramble to get out. “Take what you need to work at home for 2 weeks” was what was said. And we did. 

To be honest with you, I really didn’t understand the ramifications of a pandemic. I thought I would be home for two weeks at the most. 

 There was an underlying fear of catching this bug because a number of people in my office had been exposed and had to go into quarantine. Only days before our mass exodus I had gotten a manicure from my favorite place. During that time my guy told me of how he had the worst flu he ever had and was out of the shop for nearly two weeks. That day was the first day he didn’t have a fever in 10 days. I still wonder if he had the virus and just didn’t know it. 

 All of a sudden, everything was closing. Stores, malls, parks, movie theatres and restaurants were closing. I saw my first person wearing a mask. Funny, back then I thought they were strange looking and thought that person was overly cautious. Today I have many masks to match my outfits should I leave my home. 

 After two weeks of working from home, my company said they would re-visit the conversation of working from home in May. May? I couldn’t believe I was going to have to stay home until May. It seemed so far away. Cleaning supplies were off the shelves. You couldn’t buy meat anywhere. Shelves were empty of odd things like flour, cooking oil, mason jar lids. We started ordering grocery delivery but that became too expensive to live like that. We started shopping at weird times and we went out in homemade masks. 

 My family and I settled in for the long haul. Made smart choices regarding food. We cooked a lot more. We got into a routine that was mentally good for us. 

 In June, my company said we would go back in October, by then I wasn’t willing to go anywhere – but October seemed to be a good time and really, how long can a pandemic last? 

 In October I got my answer. We were permanently working from home.

 Today a half million people have died – DIED – from Covid and we’re not getting out of the house any time soon. My family and I are waiting patiently for our vaccines. And, yes, I do know people who have gotten the virus, but have been lucky to not have complications. 

 Today I don’t have the anxiety that I had in the beginning of all this. Sure, I am cautious. I still wipe down the groceries, wash my hands, wear a mask, strip off the clothes and shower immediately after when I have to go into the office. I keep my 6 foot distance from everybody. 

 In the last year I have had anxiety about everything. I have worried about my family, parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, and friends. Not debilitating, but it lingers in the back of my mind. Yes, I have had a low day where everything caught up with me. I became Covid tired, I missed my family and friends. I miss seeing people in person. I haven’t been able to hug my parents in a year. And what’s funny about that is that I’m not a touchy-feely person and even I miss hugs now. 

 I guess that’s my tolerance – I can handle no touch for a year and then I miss it. 

 All in all I’m good. I’m ready for this to be over but am willing to suck it up and stick it out until it’s done. I’ll continue to wear a mask and be safe. For now. I can’t say what I’ll be like our sound like if we’re still in the same situation in a year. 

 I’ll probably sound like a lunatic.

2 comments:

MissTottenham said...

Great post, you summed it up really well. I don't know what I would have done if we couldn't bubble up with the little ones. We did it properly and moved in with them for 80 days in the first lockdown, we could only manage a week without cuddles. Luckily, this time round, we could bubble up for childcare, but if it had come to it, we would have moved in with them again. I really feel sorry for people who are having to go without their cuddles.

Keep your chin up and let's hope it won't be much longer xxx

jennicula said...

I'm still hanging in there.

Got my first jab April 1 and the 2nd one is scheduled for next week.

I'm ready for this to be over but am still willing to play it safe.

What I really need is a haircut. I have the COVID shaggy-do working for me.