The guests have all arrived at their scheduled times.
Their identities have been concealed by their masks, which have been fitted for them by themselves.
I've known these visitors for some time, yet do I really "know" them? I know what I'm shown. But I still wonder what goes on behind the deception. Why do they show me this characture versus another one? Sometimes I catch a glimpse of the real person behind the illusion. Their defenses are down and I get a peek. Whether it's a nicety or something not so nice. I see it and recognize it for what it is.
It's easy to be deceptive when nobody knows who you are.
If I removed my mask, would you like what you saw? Would you understand? I've been naked before and it was scary. The mask was difficult to remove. The ties behind my head were knotted tight and tangled in my hair. I put faith and trust in few. I've been hurt too many times to be cavalier in showing the real me. Lots of people know what I show them. I'm sure if you put them in one big room, you'd get a whole picture of me. Maybe not. I still have a few hidden pockets I share with no one.
I pull the ribbons tighter behind my head to adjust my own mask, and I smile. Let the party begin.
6 comments:
For obvious reasons, this entry not only caught my attention but also prompted a rare comment. You see, I know a thing or two about masks and I'm known to frequent masquerade parties.
With that, I offer you a bit of advice. Don't allow the mask to distract you... the eyes tell all.
Please take care of yourself.
Hi Jenn!
So true...be it in daily life, or blog.
The anon above and I are on the same page. I really, really need to see peoples eyes to know a person, and to get a feel for their truth.
In the mean time, may I join you behind a mask of my own making...and we shall share chocolate. =)
I pull the ribbons tighter behind my head to adjust my own mask, and I smile. Let the party begin.
I get you so hard with this one, Jen, the whole post.
It was nice seeing you at Mayo's tonight. I hope your computer gets fixed soon so we can chat again.
Take care of yourself, okay?
See you around.
Sounds about right, Jennicula. ^_^
Hey, I miss you, I miss our chats. And I wanted to tell you that what you said at Katherine's about the ocean, I feel exactly the same way. :D
Wow! I looked into your eyes when you only a few minutes old, and I am still amazed by you! Your thoughts are so profound I wonder who you are & where you came from! Your are much deeper than I am. You can't imagine how much I love you. Bizzie Lizzie
Jenn, there is so much truth in this post. Lately I've tried to be very cautious about which parts of myself I'm willing to show, and to whom. Of course, I can't really pick and choose who gets to see me, because comments are open to everyone. But you know what I mean. You get burned a few times, and it makes you want to hide more and more.
Post a Comment