Do you remember playing when you were a child? I mean really playing. Letting loose the worry that someone is watching. Letting go of the fear of looking foolish. Totally and completely immersing yourself in fun.
I don't remember the last time I played for me or when I wasn't trying to entertain a child. Playing for a child can be fun, but they make the rules and control the atmosphere.
I played for me recently. I actually ran, jumped, got dirty, sunburned my nose and butt cheeks, and skinned my knees.
If you look at it through adult eyes, how can that sound fun? It doesn't really. But if you're 8, that's a damn good day.
After I let go of the fear of looking ridiculous, I had an incredible time. To top it off, I slept like the dead that night.
I know it's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth - playing for yourself is good for the soul. It wipes the adult cobwebs away, lifts the spirit, and maybe even makes you feel better about the world in general.
Here's to playing with pure abandon!
ps. I'll meet you in the backyard. I'm making mud pies we can sell at the Kool-Aid stand.
3 comments:
sunburned my nose and butt cheeks,
Jenn...were you playing... naked?
O_O
I'm so glad you let yourself run free. It's wonderful isn't it!?
I'm always the 'adult' that scrunches and kicks drifts of autumn leaves, and the one that stomps her foot in every puddle regardless of the shoes being worn. I am 8 also. =)
Chocolate tortilla chips???
For real?
OMG, why would they do that to a perfectly good piece of chocolate?
*cries just a little*
*leaves a block of 60% dark to set Jenn right*
*sneaks a little corner off, hoping Jenn won't notice, trying to console self*
It's been a long time since I had any good play time. Even when I was a little kid, I was always too reserved to really let loose. Unless I was on the beach at low tide. I could (and usually did) spend all day running around on the tide flats, then splashing in the water as it grew closer and closer. Those were my favorite days as a child. I wish I lived closer to a beach now. I do still like to run and jump in mud puddles and stomp on ice to crack it. :)
Post a Comment