Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Me, Myself, and I...

Life plugs along as it should. The empty spaces of free time get filled up with work, family, obligations. It’s not a bad thing, it’s a life thing.
 
Not that I mind any of that. I like my job. I love my family, and well, obligations are obligations. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.
 
But sometimes you are forced to step back. Take a breather. Play hooky from work, ditch the family, and make an obligation or two just about yourself for a change.
 
Last weekend was spent with an old friend who unexpectedly crashed at my house. Initially I thought it was going to be a pain. I’m too busy for friends (and fun apparently). I don’t have time for this. I have to do blah, blah, blah, blah - Was what my stupid inner voice was nagging at me.
 
My inner voice dictated and filed this as “Obligation.”
 
Boy was she wrong.
 
My weekend was spent drinking too much and laughing until tears were in my eyes. Many times over the course of his stay.
 
We had so much fun. I realized that I felt that I had forgotten what fun was like. Or that I'm really good at having fun. Or that maybe I had forgotten how good I feel after I've had that much fun. My brain has was charged. My body is relaxed.
 
I am a firm believer that if life is starting to take over, squishing the sparkle of life out – you MUST take care of your soul.
 
For me it is good food, laughter, inappropriate behavior, and cutting loose.
 
Cut those work tendrils that are still snaked around your brain even though you’re not there. Learn to say “no.” Don’t answer the phone. Let the machine pick up. If there’s an emergency, sure, take care of it. But really, how often is there death or fire? Thankfully in my life, not too.
 
Make sure YOU are an obligation. Treat yourself to whatever floats your boat. Take care of you before you forget how to do that.
 
ps. Mr. Brown

5 comments:

MissTottenham said...

Sounds like you had a great time with your friend. You deserved it sweetie. Let's hope the fun and laughter lasts.

jennicula is all over the place today said...

Sometimes you have to take care of yourself and not feel bad about it.

I"m kind of at that point where I'm tired of people giving me shit because I'm too busy and when I take a moment in the corner to breathe - I get shit for that too.

And, I'm really done with the pressure applied by people to get you to do what they want you to do.

MissTottenham said...

Look after yourself Jenn and tell everyone else to go fuck themselves. Or just scream Argh! in their face before storming off. I bet they'll give you a wide berth and leave you to your own devices for a while.

MissTottenham said...

Wow, something like that really makes you take a step back at look at your own life.

Defo stop to smell the roses. His poor family, they must be so shocked. It's a good way to go but not at that age.

MissTottenham said...

Bloody hell!!!!

38 is no age. That's so scary. His poor family, you would never expect that at that age.

LOL sounds like you have a lot of Damnboo, if only I knew what that was hahahah!