I had my fair share of childhood fears - spiders, moving oil pumps with their ceaseless whooshing at night, the dark, sharks, Jason Voorhees, bees in the walls, ghosts, monsters under the bed, cannibalism, and human spontaneous combustion.
Take your pick. Some might actually happen – others not so
much. But basically I was afraid of things coming after me – with the exception
of the human spontaneous combustion. I figure if the first few things got me I
was going to combust any way.
I have since grown out of most of those fears. The others
kind of hang out there in the background and are still alive and well in my
head. Every now and then they want to come out and play by saying ever so
quietly, “Hey, you know what we haven’t thought about in a long time? What’s
watching you just beyond the lights in the back yard.” Ugh, just typing that
gives me the willies.
The other day I was cruising Netflix for new movie ideas. I
went through all the different genres. I found some things that sounded
interesting, but a whole lot of crap was listed too. One topic in the
documentary field did pique my interest – “Sleepwalking Killers.” Thinking that
it was a spoof, I read the little description and the hairs on the back of my
neck stood up. It was not a joke.
I quickly backed out of the description and tried to run
away electronically as fast as I could. As if just by learning that this can
happen will taint me and mine. I know this is silly. And I can’t tell you why
it rattled me so. The entire idea that this could and has happened and that it’s
a valid condition has just landed on my “Oh, Hell No” list.
ps
spiders
the woods
sharks
monsters in my head
sleepwalking killers
4 comments:
LOL I love your list.
I always loved horror films since I was really little. I watched hammer house of horror films with my day. It was always the Mummy that scared me whitless. I could cope with scary looking monsters, it was what you couldn't see that bothered me.
Then Mummy was always wrapped up in bandages and somehow I had got it into my head that whatever was underneath was so scary that my little mind couldn't cope and if I ever saw what was under there, I'd go mad.
Now I love Mummies. Funny how I've had such a turnaround.
Things I am still scared of include cows and electrical appliances that get hot like irons. That last terrifies me, it's a total phobia.
LOL Jenn, stubbed toe - now you've got a chest cold. That could so be me. I totally wish I could hang out at the beach.
Actually, I will be there in a couple of week when we go away for the weekend with sis and hubby and disease baby. But knowing my luck, it'll be raining and I'll get a chest cold LOL.
I LOVE a good horror flick. Willie and the boy won't watch them with me, which is a shame. I have scared myself silly watching a scary movie. Alone. In the dark basement. Believe me, I CAN and have run up a flight of stairs as if I were on fire. I have my emergency zombie route out of the house.
I don't mind Mummies so much. Have you read "The Mummy" by Anne Rice? It was a nice love story.
Cows. That's too funny. And here I'm thinking that they're like big dogs. I get the appliance thing. Is it a fire concern or you getting burned thing? I'm constantly unplugging things around the house. It drives Willie nuts.
We went to the beach last weekend and I have to tell you, just a few short hours in the salty air helped clear out my sinuses.
Will this be the first time Amelie sees the ocean? The boy was a little over two when he got to the beach. He stepped off the boardwalk and plopped right into the sand to play. He thought it was a sandbox. I had to pick him up and take him past the dunes. Once he got past them he ran towards the ocean. He was never afraid of the water. He wanted in!
You'll have fun at the beach rain or sun. Hopefully it will be sunny.
I have scared myself silly watching a scary movie. Alone. In the dark basement. Believe me, I CAN and have run up a flight of stairs as if I were on fire. I have my emergency zombie route out of the house.
OMG I do that too. Mostly when I have to run to the loo in the night and I can't put the light on and wake mum.
I don't mind Mummies so much. Have you read "The Mummy" by Anne Rice? It was a nice love story.
I haven't read that one, I'll defo have to check that out.
I get the appliance thing. Is it a fire concern or you getting burned thing? I'm constantly unplugging things around the house. It drives Willie nuts.
It's defo a getting burnt thing for me. That's why I'm ok with things that don't get hot like toasters, microwaves etc. That's how I don't starve to death LOL.
Will this be the first time Amelie sees the ocean?
Absolutely, I can't wait to see her face.
BTW - I forgot to mention how ADORABLE that dang baby is! She just makes me smile every time I see a pic of her.
Thank you for sharing.
Aw bless you, I know she is scrummy and I could kiss her all day long.
Post a Comment