Stuck inside.
Going batty.
Trying to stay safe and healthy. I take my vitamins and avoid people like the plague. Pun intended.
Each week or so I reach out to a friend I haven't heard from in a while.
Two weeks ago it was my college best friend, Sue. We lost touch a number of years ago when her mom got sick and I had gone thru a difficult death of another best friend. We had things to deal with at the time.
I found her number and called. We were so excited to talk again and absolutely reconnected. She was feeling lonely and needed a friend. We started back up where we left off. Call it kismet. But we text almost every day now. Another human connection that keeps our worlds less disconnected. Good friends are like that, you just pick up where you left off and continue the conversation.
One week ago it was a friend who has been elusive. Part of the reason is because one third of our tripod had passed, and she found it difficult to talk to me because I reminded her of the things we used to do as a posse. She still struggles with the death that dealt us such a blow, we broke.
After a few glasses of wine, we were able to laugh and do some reminiscing that didn't cause pain or a lag in the conversation. I think we're on the mend. We talked for hours about nothing in particular but laughed a lot. It was good to belly laugh.
Last night I texted one of my most wayward friends, Diggity. She's that one friend who lives on the fringes of society in every way. I didn't really expect a response, I just wanted her to know I had been thinking of her and was hoping she was ok. She was excited to hear from me and is doing good. Got herself cleaned up and is holding down a job. I'm so proud of her and told her so. Another connection with a lost soul.
I'm not sure who I'm going to contact next week. I have a list of friends who I miss.
So, amidst all this scary pandemic crap, I have found a way to survive and hopefully brighten someone's day - if even for an evening.
ps - I wound up speaking with another one of my fringe friends today. Sometimes there's a reason for distance, but it was good to talk with her again.
pps - silver linings
3 comments:
Oh wow Jenn, that's so great that you've been able to reconnect with old friends. It's just nice to hear the good news stories through all of this. I hope you can connect with more.
I'm glad you are looking after yourself and your family.
Last week sis had a cold and the little one's have it. Of course they sneeze on me and I have it. We know it's a cold because we have no fevers and it's not a dry cough. I started on Monday with my nose blocking up and the cough started bad Tuesday. I can feel that today, the cough is on it's way out. I must admit, knowing it is a cold, it feels great to be out on the front garden and coughing my head off LOL, I know it's a bad sense of humour hee hee!
We too only have takeaways open and we are being spaced out at the supermarkets. It was nice to have our getaway before everything closed down. I don't think our beaches are closed but people are being advised to stay away. I saw on the TV tonight a special about how it's all gone down in America and there was a family at the beach and the dad said "It's fake news, a conspiracy". Bloody hell, you just can't help some people. Also gun sales are big there at the moment cos everyone knows that you can kill a virus with a gun duh!
We have had 500+ die a couple of days on the trot now so I hope we have plateaued and it starts to slow down. Yes, I'm sure the hols in May won't be happening but I hope we can change it to the summer rather than later in the year.
Talking of summer, I think if these restrictions are expected to go on longer than the end of May, that's when the chaos will start. If we have a nice summer, then there's no way people will stay cooped up when they've done it a couple of months already. And there's no way anyone will be able to police it. We've gotta pray it all ends soon or pray June's weather is crap.
Anyway, fun and games. Let's see what happens next. Take care and be safe xxx
HI there!
I'm so sorry to hear you got a cold, but really, aren't you thrilled it's just that? Keep the sunshine going and get better!
One of my friends is positive this is all bullshit created by the government and they're all going to come and get rid of us. She told me to not get the immunization because of something. She wouldn't tell me what that something was, but to not let anyone in the house. I'm already not letting anybody in the house so I'm ok. There are those people who believe this is all a hoax. I have friends in the medical industry and they are telling me what they see and this is not a joke. Gun sales are up. They always go up when big things like this happen (market crash, 911, a pandemic).
I'm hoping for a plateau soon too. Our Centers for Disease Control is putting out a memo today telling people that wearing a covering over your face, sick or not, is probably a good thing. Willie sent me a great article that said that even a bandana will protect you more by 50% - and I think that's better than a stick in the eye.
I'm really hoping this doesn't go thru the summer. I miss normalcy and I don't want this to be the new normal. Our police are driving up and down the streets yelling at people to go home. No fines yet, but they can do it. I'm thinking I'd rather yell at some chuckleheads than get near them to give them a ticket.
Well, that's it for me today.
Be safe and be well.
Yeah, I'm so glad it's just a cold. The first three days were a really bad blocked up nose, then the cough kicked in and a week and a half later, that's still going strong though it is easing off a bit. No temperatures though and it's just a cold cos we've all had it.
I've seen those crazy conspiracists on TV. Over here there have been a few of the new 5G masts burned down cos people said they were to blame. Luckily, no guns here, and people are mostly sane but some people just do not get this social distancing thing and police are handing out fines to people still having picnics in the park.
Your friend sounds like she's lost the plot a bit. I saw something good on facebook that said to all those anti-vac people, this is what the world is like without a vaccination, you'd hope that would hit home with them.
Our death rate is going up but we are hoping to reach our peak around Easter, fingers crossed. Keeping things in perspective, our deaths are below 8,000 and between 2014 and 2019 in the uk alone, an average of 17,000 people die each year of standard flu, one year was just 4,000 but one year was 34,000 and it averages as 17,000. So people should be told that more people die each year of standard flu, but this message doesn't get out, this seems bad because it's new but unfortunately, the people who have died probably would have anyway of they'd caught standard flu. Obviously, there are more likely to catch this cos no-one has any immunity, but the amount of deaths is not in any way extortionate for a type of flu.
That doesn't make it any better for the people of relatives who have died but we are keeping our heads, staying home and not panicking, it's all anyone can do.
Finger crossed, you are yours stay safe and healthy. Look after yourself.
Post a Comment