Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It's not easy being me...

I love being a woman. Even when I was a child, I looked forward to growing up and being able to wear the pretty dresses and killer shoes.

I love slipping on the gorgeous undergarments and hiding them with my wardrobe. A secret just for me.

I love wearing subtle make-up and putting a hint of perfume behind my ears. A secret just for him.

I love the jangle of bracelets on my wrists as I walk down the stairs and the click of my heels on the tile announcing "girl on the move."

What I don't love is the maintenance. I hate shaving but nobody wants to see a gorilla in a dress.

I also hate panty hose. The moment I put them on I begin to feel suffocated. Like I'm being strangled. I'd rather staple my tongue to a table than put hosiery on.

So, today I enjoy being a girly-girl, but tomorrow I just might really enjoy the non-frilly side of me by putting on a broken-in pair of Levis and a comfortable sweater and some kick-ass boots.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I only like to dress up once in a while, usually when I'm going to a party, or going out for a night on the town. Most of the time I wear the same comfy jeans, the same layered t-shirts and hoodies. I don't wear make-up to work, and I don't fix my hair. But I do enjoy wearing cute socks or sexy underwear under my beat up jeans -- nobody knows about them except me, and the occasional lucky boy. It's fun to keep girly secrets. :)

Anonymous said...

What I love about the affair with adornment is that it's really our way of making ourselves our own work of art.

But sacrificing comfort for it is no fun as well. I can certainly relate. I have an inherited weight problem and because of this my weight fluctuates by about thirty pounds every year. No matter how much I exercise and how clean I eat, I have to pick dresses and skirts that allow room for my constantly shifting size.

I think the only way one can create is for oneself. I take an apologetic stance on my blog because I used to only post nice, short little poems and now if anyone wants to comment they have to trudge through full length stories.

Thank you for letting me know you still enjoy them.

The temperature has somewhat dropped back down. I like wearing long sleeved things so I feel a bit more comfortable again.

Andrea said...

The weather is a little messed up here too. It can't decide whether to be warm or cold this week. A couple days ago, it was wet and windy, but balmy. They call it the Pineapple Express. Warm moist air from the central Pacific rides in on the jet stream. But when the jet stream shifts, we get cold again. Back and forth, back and forth... still wet the whole time.

I'm not sweating the boy as much as I was earlier this week. Although it's partly because I haven't seen him again, and partly because I've been super busy with everything else. Either way, I know I just need to roll with it, whatever happens.

Meds... there was a time when I was so sick and tired of always being on meds. At least three times in my life, I've stopped taking them and vowed never to take them again. But maybe this is what I need in order to keep myself on track? Who knows. I'm still taking time to mull it over, and I will definitely go to the specialist for more information.

I don't think you need a reason to put bacon and chocolate on any list. In fact, I think I may add them to every list from now on, just as a matter of course. Because really, when do they not belong? :)

[Examines the remains of the lunchtime bacon cheeseburger and contemplates finishing the last two bites]

Bacon: check.

[Looks at pile of chocolates on desk, sitting next to the fresh mocha from starbucks]

Chocolate: check.

Looks like I'm ready to take on the rest of the day!