Saturday, November 29, 2008

All Fired Up...

The wood was stacked neatly by the hearth.

"Do you want a fire tonight?" He asked me.

"Yes, please." I reply.


He arranges the logs in some sort of geometric pattern. Kindling poking out and discarded magazines twisted into colorful origami in between.


He heats up the flue and I hear the air get sucked up the chimney.

The paper is lit in no time and I have a roaring bon-fire in my fireplace.


It is so hot we can't sit too close for fear that our eyebrows will be incinerated.

So, from afar I enjoy the fire blazing in front of me.

I curl up on the couch and let the warmth envelope me. My cat joins me in appreciating the golden glow.

As my eyes close, I listen to the fire speak it's language. Pops, crackles, and hisses.

My mind welcomes the new nature-speak and I feel myself drift into sleep.

Oh, I do love to lay by the fire and do nothing.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I like your colorful origami line, very descriptive and lyrical. Also, I'm jealous of your fireplace!! I have a stupid gas one that puts out no heat and manages to sound like the roar of a Kuwaiti oil fire, not so much with the restive.

Andrea said...

I love this Jenn, it makes me want to curl up in front of your fireplace. I love a warm cozy fire!

I hope you had a great holiday!