Tuesday, November 3, 2009

If it ain't broke...

The silver hoop hangs in your ear defiantly.

A reminder of the rebellious days of when young men did not do such a thing.

The people gathered around the campfire are all friends I've known since I was 15.

We've all changed a bit physically. We're heavier, or greyer, or thinner on top.

All of us have children as this point.

The laughter comes easily. The women pull into their side, and the men into the other.

Chatter is the same. The men talking about their new gadgets and how goofy their wives are.

The women laugh about their husbands and children, when something in the conversation struck me.

The girls talked about how they were constantly trying to "fix" and change their men.

I looked at you and wondered why they were always working on trying to tame the man-beast?

Was a leash really necessary? I never felt we needed one.

Time has certainly changed us a bit. Certain situations forced us to grow up - but all in all - I still see the bad boy in you that attracted me in the first place.

Names are rattled off of those who are now divorced or working on one. The numbers are staggering.

Was the main reason for breaking up because one person felt the need to re-vamp the older version hoping that once the changes were implemented they would be acceptable?

It boggles my mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The coffee and cigarettes.... Hell yeah. Ashamed to say I probably consume more of those than actual food when I'm traveling.

Now I'm using you not to leave when everything is in the car. I even have a brassiere on.

So, adieu, my happily wedded lady.

Gonna see if I can get internets this time. Maybe at some point in IL....

farawaysoclose said...

i think you've got a good point there Jenn. i think that happens alot. trying to change your man, or maybe vice versa.

i can relate to the get togethers, only in UK style. (not so much different, just the accent i guess?)(and it's bloody raining!)

all my friends and their partners have reproduced now, and touch wood, no one has divorced. i guess it will be inevitable for some?

funny old world ey?!

&hearts:

farawaysoclose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
farawaysoclose said...

apologies, that was my deletion. i was so miffed at my eff up of my ♥ that i swore very nastily. and it's not big and it's not clever, so it's gone now!