As I sit outside on my back porch, I wait for the storm to roll in.
Only minutes before, the air was stale from lack of a breeze. My clothes are stuck to me from the humidity that makes my home feel like a sauna.
The birds stopped their chirping and the quiet of the day becomes apparent.
Here it comes.
The preliminary wind teases movement out of the upper branches of the trees. The leaves appear as it they are reaching for the sky seeking nourishment. For a moment the trees look as if they are somehow taller.
The dark clouds whirl above me and I see them become the uniform grey.
The wind picks up and the breeze propels the staleness of the day away.
In with the good. Out with the bad.
The first rain drop hits the deck with a definitive "SPLAT!"
It is cold and refreshing and it makes me smile.
I didn't realize that I had missed a good soaking rain.
The rain comes faster and heavier until all I can hear is the pounding of the raindrops on the cement.
The rain pounds the ground so hard that the drops bounce up and hit me in the shins.
I inhale the fresh scent of the earth. It was so dry over the last week that all good smells were dehydrated into a dust.
The rain cleans away the dust that appeared to cover everything. My doomed potted plants soak in the rain and appear to be a bit greener even with just this little refreshment.
I ponder whether I should go out and stand in the middle of the yard and just get rained on. Wash the day off of me and a little bit of dirt too.
Really, what could it hurt?
4 comments:
I say go play in the rain...I know I still do !!!
I love the smell of things after it has rained. It reminds me of caravan holidays at the seaside when we were young. I used to love it when it rained at night cos you could hear it on the roof and the sounds made me feel all cosy inside.
In answer to your question Jenn, I do sometimes sit on the giant fork bench. The only problem with that is that it makes me crave giant fish and chips too hahahahah!
Beach Baby: Ay carrumba girl. Where U been?! Expect contact from me over the weekend.
MissT: I love the smell of rain right before it starts to rain and then of course after it rains. I'm with you on the sound of rain hitting the roof. Our old house had wonderful angled ceilings so the roof was right there practically next to my head when I was in bed. I would listen to the rain at night and it would send me over the abyss to sleep in a matter of minutes.
Craving giant fish and chips - hahahaha! I crave large bits of chocolate. :)
Busy. Working crazy long hours at the theater. I love my job. Yes, it can be a difficult place to work.
But we've had a series of people quit with no notice. That is what has made it so stressful.
I can't believe I'm saying this. But I'm starting to wonder if my older associates who opine about the younger generation being the "entitled generation," if there isn't some truth to it.
Lord, I feel ashamed saying that. I could go on and on about the astounding things I've heard come out of these young adults' mouths, or the things they refuse to do.
This summer has been nice thus far. I do wish we got a couple more thunderstorms, though.
I moved into one of the theater's houses which doesn't have internet. Hence my long absence.
What have you been up to?
Post a Comment