Late at night, when the house is quiet and the cat is curled up next to me, I like to watch old western movies.
I don’t know why, but I like them. I can usually tell which ones were done in the 50s because they’re in hyper color. The costumes are fabulous. And the cowboys wear silk kerchiefs.
One of the things I like to do best is look at the cast and crew list.
Who were they? But, most importantly, when and where were they born?
I don’t know why I like to look up that information. I just do.
That being said, I really love the oldest westerns for that information. The movies are super corny, but the cast is amazing.
So far the furthest back birth year has been 1863. I found two people for that year. One was born in Germany and the other in Philadelphia.
1863.
What did they experience?
Then I realize that those people in the movies made in the 30s, made to take place in the 1880s, probably remember certain aspects of that time. Because they lived through it.
They were adults by 1900. My grandmother was born in 1900 and I thought she was old.
Did these people ever think that somebody in 2021 would see their movie? They’d be 158 years old this year.
What would they think of the world today?
It’s crap like this that keeps me up at night.
Ps. Shane
2 comments:
Hiya Jenn, I hope you are well. I love this post, it really makes you think.
Then I realize that those people in the movies made in the 30s, made to take place in the 1880s, probably remember certain aspects of that time. Because they lived through it. This is the bit that made me go WOW!
Enjoy your westerns, I hope you are watching them from under a snuggy blanket cos now it's COOOOOOLD.
xxx
My family has an odd tradition of Chinese Fridays. We eat Chinese food and watch westerns. You'd think that either we'd eat Chinese food and watch kung-fu movies, or have BBQ and watch westerns - but as life is funny, this is the combination we wound up on.
I do really love to look up the cast and crew. The other piece I think about is if they were born in the 1880s, what did it take for them to get to California to make these movies? AND, if they were born in Europe, what was THAT travel like? How long did it take? What made them move?
I went to an antique outlet and they actually had clothing from the 1880s. It was thick and heavy. Lots of buttons and hooks. Women had to wear all this crap all the time. No wonder they were kind of shoved into the background of the world. Their clothing sucked and I'm pretty sure it smothered them too. You can't be a powerhouse dressed like that. And in the summer? Don't even get me started.
Ok, that was some tangent.
It snowed here the other day. Nothing that hit the ground. It kind of floated in the sky and looked misty. Two days later is was as warm as a spring day. I think Mother Nature is not sure what to do.
The boy's GF made us a blanket for Crimbo. I'm supposed to share it, but I don't.
I'm also sure I'd be an outcast and insist on wearing pants so I could move.
Post a Comment