Sunday, July 12, 2009

High Infidelity...

I watched the neon numbers blend into each other and then change. Time was slipping by as I sat waiting for the inevitable.

Not often am I given a warning of a call that will be unpleasant. Yet I accepted the plea for an ear.

The phone rang and I tentatively answered. Expecting and finding her voice on the other end.

Without all the niceties that generally start conversations, she jumped right in.

My heart broke for her as she told me her tale. She's not much of a hugger (and neither am I) but I felt the overwhelming urge to reach out to her.

Seeing that she was 500 miles away made that task impossible, so I verbally hugged her.

She did most of the talking and I listened. I asked questions and she answered as best she could.

She let me in to see her raw emotion. Her heart mangled. Life shattered. Trust killed with one act.

She asked me to help her put it all back together.

As I give her what I can, I can't help but admire her strength and tenacity in all of this.

She has a long road ahead and I don't envy the choices she will have to make.

What keeps playing back in my mind is How would I ever recover if that happened to me? My life blown apart like that?

I don't think I would. I'm pretty sure I would die.

No comments: