It's been so blooming hot around here lately, it's been awful. Just awful. Tempers flare as the mercury rises. I'm hot and cranky. Not sleeping well. The sheets stick to my sweaty body at night. Relief is not found. Cold showers are only good while you stand under the water. My head is hot. Once the water is turned off, my body has a thin film of sweat on it again. I feel dirty and I've just gotten out of the shower.
To break the monotony of the heat, I retreat to late shows at the movies. The theater is dark and cool. I can relax. I don't really care what I'm going to watch. I just want to cool down. My inner core is on fire. I need air conditioning. Once inside, I find my favorite seat. Nobody sits in front of me and I put my hot feet up. I start to cool down. My baked brain can somewhat function. All the cylinders are firing again.
Last night I retreated to the movies. It seemed as if everybody and their mother decided to hit the flicks. I had to park far from the building. Not that it would bother me so much, but the moment I put the car in "park" the sky opened up and the lightning started to crack around me.
Do I go for it? Do I stay put? My family is inside the building and I'm in the car. The tickets are purchased. I see others in the parking lot running for cover. Looks like I'll join the crowd on this one.
I got out of the car and slammed the door shut. I took a deep breath and started to move. Really move. Like the wind. I pumped my legs as fast as they could go. I was really hauling ass. I glanced behind me and saw a bolt of lightning. It was like God's electrical zipper coming out of the sky. It was damn scary. Seeing this, I decided to run faster. Not that I could outrun a bolt of lightning, but I was going to make it a little trickier to get blasted out of my shoes.
I ran and ran. I felt my legs start to wobble. Any longer and I was going to totally wipe out. On the cement. In front of a lot of people. They would laugh and I would be seriously physically hurt. The building doors were coming up fast.
I reached the door and a girl held it open for me. We were both soaked from the rain. I looked at her, and she at me. I said, "Man, I haven't run like that since high school." She laughed. And, I said, "No, I'm not kidding. I think I'm going to barf."
She asked me if I was ok. My heart was pounding and my legs didn't want to move and I really did feel like I was going to barf, but I was ok.
I found my dude still waiting in line to buy our tickets. When they were purchased, I told him what I did. I was so proud of myself. I did more than a scamper. I actually ran. It was full-on trucking.
He got a twinkle in his eye, put his arm around me and said, "Who are you kidding? You didn't run in high school."
You know what? He was right.
12 comments:
Hahaha! This is such a great story. I laughed when I read the title, and kept laughing all the way through.
I hope you get some relief from the heat soon. In my neck of the woods it warmed up to about 70 today, after a week of cool rain. I keep wanting more sun, but then I think about the heat wave in the east and realize I'd better be careful what I wish for!
How was the movie?
This is great, Jen! I mean, not for you, but just in general. Ah, you know what I mean!
I just wanted to drop by and say that you are missed and that I miss talking to you.
I hope everything is going okay for you and the family. I hope to talk to you soon. :)
Later, Jen!
P.S. Your words are amazing, just so you know.
Mustard? I've been trying to track you down.
I miss you too.
I completely ignored the fact that it's Friday the 13th today until you mentioned it at Mayo's. (I was lurking at lunchtime.)
You know what's great? We were supposed to release new software today. This was the deadline set by my old evil spawn-of-satan boss for our huge release, full of big important projects, with a timeline that the rest of us knew was completely unreasonable. We pleaded with him to be more realistic, but he wouldn't listen.
Then he got fired. :-)
And now there's no release today.
So Happy Friday the 13th!
How about next time you stand in line for the tickets & Dude gets to park the car????? Spoken like a true mother. Don't even go there!!!!! Bizzie Lizzie
You soooo didn't run in high school !!! LOL !!!!
I am thinking that the last time we "ran" was like in elementary school. Doesn't it feel good to know you still can do it. I did a cartwheel not that long ago. I was so proud of myself! LOL !
Thinking about running and high school...we weren't running away from anything or one...we were running after boys ! LOL!
Have a great weekend !!!
I love ya!!!
God's electrical zipper!
Zip zip zip zzzzzziiiiippppppp!
God's giving me the evil eye. Maybe I should stop playing with that....
Oooooo, I've been meaning but afraid to ask you this for forever.
Are you really a magician's assistant?
It's okay if you're not. Just... Need to know!
regarding the comment about the dude driving so miss daisy could stay dry and avoid the whole running thing:
even though the dude is a good driver, miss daisy insists upon driving because she is not a very good passenger when the dude is behind the wheel. a bit nervous. moreover, for some reason she a complete wreck when anyone else drives. odly enough, she is also that way when she drives too. it's a miracle that miss daisy and the dude get anywhere.
The Dude is a much better passenger than I am. He's right.
Just so you know, if he's buying, I'm flying. That's just how we roll.
Does Miss Daisy make The Dude ride in the back? When Miss Daisy's grandmother rode in the back she called herself "Mrs. Plushbottom". I'm a shotgun person myself. Don't let Miss Daisy teach The Boy how to drive. My apologies to The Dude. I love him too. Bizzie L
the dude did not take offense.
miss daisy is under the false impression that every vehicle on every road has the sole purpose of colliding with her despite the laws of physics.
it makes for a difficult drive no matter where she sits.
To set both you knuckleheads straight - all cars on the road are out to hit me. My car has a bullseye painted on it in invisible ink.
Post a Comment