As I sit on my back porch, I relax after a day in a cooped up office. Pushing papers around and trying to avoid daily disaster.
I breathe in the warm summer air, still thick with humidity. I listen to the cicadas start their chorus in the surrounding bushes. As my eyes adjust to the impending dark, I focus on the far bamboo trees. There I see them. Green twinkling. Like Christmas tree lights on the blink. I still get excited like I did when I was a child. I sit and smile and think back to easier days.
My family would visit my grandparent's home during the summer. We would do the regular touristy things that one does when visiting. The sights I saw and things I experienced were great. But none matched the fireflies. I didn't have any where I lived, so these things were just amazing to me.
After a big meal, of what I can't remember, topped off by fresh strawberries, sugar, and cream my brother and I would rush to take our baths. Once scrubbed clean and in our pajamas, we were allowed to go hunt for fireflies.
We would race out the back door with our mayonnaise jars in our little hands. Holes would be punched in the lids so our lightning bugs could breathe. We would wait for the first green flicker and dash for it. My brother would swat them out of the sky and I would lift my hand up to them. The fireflies would land on my fingers and I would put them in my ever-ready jar for safe keeping.
After our fire fly haul, we were brought inside for bed. I would carefully place the jar next to my bed. There I would fall asleep with the bugs twinkling next to my head.
In the morning I would wake up and find the jar empty. I always asked my grandmother where they went and she would always tell me, "They're magic. You'll need to catch more."
For years I thought lightning bugs were magic. While I know now they are not, I still like to believe that they are.
So, as I sit on my back porch, I think back on a magical time when one can believe in almost anything. Including bugs that light up a yard like a green Christmas tree.
2 comments:
It's been forever since I've seen a lightning bug or anything remotely magical. Have to make more time to stop and look. That's probably my problem. It's there, I just don't pay it enough attention.
I loved this post, Jenn. :)
Have a great Friday!
You are my trollop,
my only trollop
you make me happy,
when business is low,
you only know dear,
how much i love you
please dont take my trollop away.
See me spin around with magic butterflies all around me. see my fly in the air with my trollop, we could fly in the sky and drop great big water balloons on people we dont like or the people who are evil (i know a fair few)
i saw fimble star the other minute, and she said to say hello and she misses you. she also told me to say hello to wooly and your boyo. hoping they and you are all super fly for a white guy.
iy oh
iy oh
its off to work i go
with a wiggle over here
and a shuffle over there
iy oh
iy oh
iy oh
Post a Comment