Monday, May 19, 2008

Barbie Days...

I spent the other evening talking with an old friend. I've known her since I was 5. We met when she lived across the street from me. She had a friend who was much larger than either of us and wasn't very friendly. Our very first conversation went like this;

Mean girl {shouting to me}: "I have a Ding Dong and you don't have one!"

Me {shouting back}: "So what!"

Mean girl {holding Ding Dong up and teasing me}: "I have a Ding Dong and you don't have one!"

Me {picking up a dirt clod}: "Yeah? So what! I have a dirt clod."

Me {throws dirt clod into the street}

Me {throws another dirt clod at them}

{dirt clod hits car}

Mean girl {shouting}: "I'm telling."

Me {runs away}

Not long after the dirt clod incident, while I was still hiding in my bedroom, my apartment doorbell rang. My mother eagerly answered the door. There, upon the doorstep, was a woman and a young girl. Not the one that I had been throwing dirt clods at. She introduced herself to my mother and proceeded to explain how I behaved earlier in the day.

The young girl looked at me, and I at her. She had longish dark brown hair, blue eyes, tan skin, and a big smile. I on the other hand had white-blonde hair, green eyes, and pale skin. In my hand was a Malibu Barbie. My prized possession.

The girl looked at me and said, "I have Barbies too."

My eyes lit up, "You do? I have more in my bedroom. Wanna see them?"

We went off to my bedroom to go check out the scene. And that, as they say, was that.

We spent many hours and many years playing with Barbies. We concocted outrageous stories and lives that our beloved dolls would be a part of. We dressed them in the finest couture in Barbiedom and gave them equally fascinating names.

Whether we would play at my house or hers, we made fantastic homes out of household items. Our stories were better than the ones you would find on the soap operas.

Ah, Barbie days.

I still have my Barbies. They are in a box in my basement. They were saved for when I had a little girl. I never had a little girl, so there they stay, waiting for a granddaughter that I hope to one day have.

If I could only go back to a time when a toilet paper roll could become a throne and my Barbie was the queen. When play was magical and uninterrupted. When imaginations ran wild and free. When the biggest worry was, "Where did I put that other go-go boot that matches my dress?"

My girlfriend and I grew up and bonded through Barbies. We remain best of friends to this day. Our conversations are not frequent, but when I hear her voice on the other end of the telephone line, it's like the conversation never ended. We pick up where we left off and go from there.

It's good to have a soul-mate friend. Everybody needs one. I'm just lucky that I found mine at such a young age.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My memory tells me that it was the blond who said "I have a Ding Dong & you don't". I also remember the dirt clod incident. I think that was connected to kumquats or guavas or some exotic fruit like that. Bizzy Lizzy

Jennicula said...

Psh. Always blame the blonde. :p

I would argue the "I started it" thing, but you know me best.

However, dirt clods were the best to throw. They stayed nicely clumped together while flying through the air. When they connected with the intended target (or not so intended) they made a great "Poof" of brown dust. Oh, they were wonderful.

I guess the question was, did I throw exotic fruit too?

Andrea said...

Aw, I love your storytelling Jennicula. :-)

I never played with Barbie dolls. My best friend and I used to put on performances together, with costumes, make-up, props, even a script. Good times.

I miss those playful days.

Anonymous said...

I played with Barbie too. And got in trouble for it.

Anonymous said...

one of my childhood memories is of playing "saber-tooth tiger" with Jeffery somebody at his house under their dining room table. we used to crawl around and growl.

that's all i'm gonna say about that.

Jennicula said...

See gang? Everybody had something they liked to play (or with) when we were children.

Sorry, my furry anonymous friend, about getting in trouble with Barbie. I used to get in trouble with my friend, but her name wasn't Barbie. We had fun though, :)

Forest? You n' me go together like peas n' carrots! I believe I've heard you growl since your childhood.

Andrea, I don't remember putting on plays but I do remember dressing up and playing with make-up. I loved that.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome to have a friend like that. ^_^ And good for you, throwing the dirt clods. ;)

I miss you 'Nicula. :)

Anonymous said...

No, it was dirt clods that you and several others threw. It did look like you all had a good time! The neighbor did get her front porch cleaned for her. I don't think you threw the exotic fruit, but I don't know why not. She had them growing in her side yard. We didn't have a lot of contact with her after that. Probably a good thing! Bizzy L

Anonymous said...

Hey there Soul Sista!
I can't believe it...but I sooooo can't remember the whole dirt clod thing. I must have blocked it out!
I do remember the first time I saw you sitting at your table eating breakfast in your pj's and the T.V. had cartoons on!!!!I think you were eating fruit loops or fruity pebbles. I wasn't allowed to do that.I sooo wanted to live at your house. Your mom is sooooo cool! My children and I now eat breakfast with our pj's on watching cartoons on a regular basis!Thank you Blizzy Lizzy for showing me that it is okay to do that. Look how awesome Jennicula is !!! I hope my kiddos turn out to be as awesome as her!!!
I do remember all the Barbie days!!! I loved playing Barbies at your house. The Barbies had "upstairs/downstairs" condos at your house. Those built in bookshelves were awesome! Am I saying "awesome" a little much? Can you tell I am product of the
80's? LOL! Bitchin!!!!
I betcha if we got together today we would still pull out the Barbies! I so miss those days...they were some of the best days. I am so lucky to call you my friend...soul friend. I love you.
Talk to you soon!

80's Beach Girl

P.S. I don't think "the Blond" started it. It had to be the "big" girl. What I recall is that the "blond" doesn't start stuff...she finishes it! Ya just gotta love her! I do!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Beach Baby!

And yes, the blonde always finished things!

Anonymous said...

I don't think Beach Baby was involved in the dirt clod throwing. It seems the blond & a few boys had that adventure. Glad I helped you discover that it was okay to eat breakfast in your pj's & have the tv on at the same time. I was quite a rebel in those days. Actually, it was easier to turn on the tv & pour a bowl of cereal for the kiddos than it would have been to try & get them to sit at the table & eat a hearty breakfast. In those days a REAL treat was to go to Winchell's Donuts on the morning after payday & get a donut, or walk to Grandma's & get a big cookie for 35 cents. Life was the pits, but life was wonderful in those days. I have such good memories of that time in my life. Never thought I would say that, but all the anxiety is gone and only the happy times and feeling of accomplishment remain. Bizzie Lizzie

PS Thanks for thinking I was "cool". Love ya!!!