Monday, January 18, 2010

Dizzy...

I found myself singing as the piped music played over the sound system.

As a child, I loved, loved, loved this song.

I would show up at the front door of my best friends home early Saturday mornings. She wasn't allowed to cross the street by herself.

Neither was I, but I was a rebel and did it anyway.

Like a magnet to steel, I was attracted to her in an obsessive-best-friend way.

The front door would open and I would push my way into the living room. I was like a tornado they just welcomed into their neat home.

Ignoring the protests of her mother, I would race down the hall towards my goal.

I would burst through the door unannounced and only then would I consider this the beginning of my day.

She would always greet me with a smile. She always seemed to expect me and was just waiting for me to show up.

We would spend the first few minutes talking abut whatever 7-year-olds talked about - probably Barbies.

Then her mother would show up to make sure I wasn't leading her daughter down the road to ruin.

Once she left, then the fun would begin.

Out came the record player and on went the K-Tel record. Vinyl has the most excellent pops and crackles. If you jumped or bumped too close to the player, the record would skip. A whole other kind of fun.

She would carefully find the right track to play and then let 'er rip.

There we would hear the music flow out of the tiny single speaker.

The world suddenly had an unburstable bubble that we were safely tucked inside.

Our bare feet hit the yellow shag carpet and we would start to dance and sing.

Every time I hear that song, I smile and start to dance.


"Dizzy, I’m so dizzy my head is spinning
Like a whirlpool it never ends
And it’s You girl makin’ it spin
You're making me dizzy"

6 comments:

MissTottenham said...

LOL Jenn, I love that song too. Happy memories eh?

It did, however, get my heart rate up quite a bit as I contemplated the scenario of me going down head first in front of the neighbors with my bits showing.



LMFAO I have a great picture in mind now hahaha!

Yes, suitable shoes. Boring but safe.


All our snow and ice has gone now but the forecasters have just said heavy snow for Weds so we shall see. I've not put away my wellies just yet.

MissTottenham said...

LOL Jenn, thanks sweetie. I wish I could arrest him. Maybe when I get the uniform.

Our really bad weather is predicted for later tonight so we shall see.

Have you got your son ready for snow shovelling duties?

PS, I think bagpipes are an acquired taste. I think the huge amounts of whiskey drinking that goes on at events where they are used probably helps.

Welshie said...

Hi Jenn.

Saw your comment at Miss T.'s.

There's a small village called Cynwyd in Denbighshire, North Wales. It's between Bala and Corwen. They have a large factory there that makes Agricultural Trailers. They export them all over the world. Small world eh?

Andrea said...

Hey there! Once again, I've been remiss in blog posts and comment responses. How are you?

My boss has a small tin of bacon flavored jelly beans on his desk, and they are quite possibly the grossest candy I've ever tasted! The same gritty-soft sweetness of any other jelly bean, but with a strange faux smokiness and a hint of savory-salty. I had to spit it out! And here I thought all things bacon were good and respectable. Well... okay, bacon ice cream is still questionable. But since I've never tasted it, I'll pretend it doesn't really exist so I can go on living in bacon fantasy land.

Mmmm... bacon... :)

Unknown said...

"...tornado they just welcomed into their neat home."

Dudette,

That's how I feel whenever anyone allows me into their life.

This message brought to you by an excess of Chablis.

Hi.

Andrea said...

Eeeeewwwww! Sardine jelly bellies???? Who comes up with these things?

My experience with the bacon jelly bean was a bit like what you described... the flavor lingered for hours. I ate a whole handful of lifesaver's sours to cleanse the palette, but it didn't help.

I believe this is the same product my boss has:
http://www.amazon.com/Accoutrements-11849-Jellybeans-Bacon-Flavored-Jelly/dp/B001DDA3VE

I recommend offering them to coworkers. :)