Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Barefoot in the park...

I'm not dating, per se. I'm married. I date my husband. I've been married for a long time and have been with him for half my life.

Half of my life. Damn! That's a long time.

It hasn't always been sunshine and roses. I'm no walk in the park.

The social butterfly married a virtual hermit. An odd combination, but it works for some weird reason.

I went to a picnic and someone asked if I brought my boyfriend with me. Usually he doesn't go with me and at times I feel the old ladies think I'm making up an imaginary husband so I don't appear to be an aging spinster.

He and I were off in the distance enjoying the mountain air. Laughing at private jokes and people watching (a favorite sport of ours). We have fun together. He appreciates my odd sense of humor and I like how he gets me. Not many people do, so it's a rarity when it actually happens.

In hushed whispers my mother was asked if the man I brought with me was my boyfriend.

"No. That's her husband." She replied.

"Newlyweds?"

"No. They've been together a long time."

At first I thought the observation was funny. I was unaware I was being so closely watched by the mother hens.

Later that night I thought how sad is was that the general assumption was 'boyfriend" and not "husband."

Aren't you supposed to have fun with your spouse? I have fun with mine. Maybe that's a rare thing in today's world and that's just sad.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Yay! I love your new layout!

I love this post too. Seriously, your stories about you and your husband really give me something to hope for. I want someone who gets me even though I'm difficult, who I can still have fun with even after we've been together for a long time. I think what you have with your husband is special and amazing. I hope I can find that someday too. :)

Original Punk L said...

I love the new layout too, Jennicula! The other was really nice, and this one has a Halloween feel to it.

Very nice story about your husband. A wonderful compliment to be thought of as newlyweds. You are supposed to have fun, enjoy each other, laugh together. He must be a good man.

Hope you are doing ok, I know the anons have been giving you a fit, but don't pay them any mind. Like I said before, it's hard to do, I know. But you are better than that, don't forget.

Take care and hope to see you at Mayo's soon.

Love,
L.

Anonymous said...

Dearie, I was proud to say that you & your husband had been together for a long time. In this day & age that is quite a statement! Keep up the good work (and I know it is work, at least on his part). Love all y'all. Bizzie Lizzie