I babysat for months.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Every week, without fail, I was employed. Usually by the same families but sometimes I got new clients to add to my list. I was well known and reliable.
I saved my money as best I could. Money burned a hole in my pocket. Sometimes it would flow through my fingers faster than I could grasp.
I found an object of my desire - a bicycle - black.
It was beautiful. Every week I would pass by this want, knowing the countdown had begun. It was only a matter of time before it would be mine. All mine.
I finally saved up enough money - $128.50. That was the most I had ever had saved up. It was mostly fives and ones. When I got to the store, I was so excited I could hardly pay the cashier.
There it was. Shiny and new. It was my first major purchase in my young life. I was so proud of myself.
My first ride on this bicycle I had an epiphany. The harder I pushed my legs, the faster the peddles pumped. The wheels moved faster and I was out like a shot.
My home became smaller as I rode away. I could feel the ties that held me so tightly rip loose.
I had purchased freedom. Freedom to roam. Freedom to scream. Freedom to think my own thoughts. Freedom to be me.
As the wind whipped through my hair, I couldn't help but smile. The rushing air helped to blast the daily worries and awful school days off of me.
I would race through the neighborhood like a bat out of hell sometimes with friends, sometimes by myself. But by the time the street lights came on and I was rolling towards home, I was centered and ready for another day.
My trusty bike took me everywhere. Some places my parents knew about, some places they didn't. It took me on adventures. I laughed, cried, and bled on that beautiful thing. Most importantly, I got a taste of freedom at that point in my life and I never looked back.
5 comments:
hey Jenn!
nice to see your blog back!
thanks for sharing your happy memories.
my best friend and me used to go off on our bikes all round the neighbourhood. then out into the countryside and up to the cliff tops. we would take sandwiches and drink and go for the day. it was the best fun.
i barely let my girls go to the top of the drive! it's really very sad. i know they are still young and i will let them do more when they get older, but it's not the same now.
have a good day!
What a great post for a Friday. :)
That smell in your office sounds just horrible. I usually only smell good scents from our kitchen at work, which to me is almost as bad because I've got to sit there and starve. But I suppose the smell of good food is better than rotten foot. (Gross!)
I hope your day gets better, or at least ends very quickly so you can start your weekend.
I took today off, as a recovery day after last night's concert. Which was amazing, by the way! I'm so sore from the moshing, but Weezer totally rules.
Now days, I don’t let my son go anywhere. Not because I don’t trust him, but because I don’t trust the world around him.
exactly Jenn!
if i don't see you around have a fab weekend!
Trollop,
I love your post, it reminded me of when i baby-sat. I was fantastic, i stayed awake which is a mission in its own right.
*shimmy to the left*
*shimmy to the right*
will you join me in a dance?
*shimmy all night long*
miss ya hun,
take care
xx
Hello Jenn! I was just visiting L and saw you over at her place. So, I thought I would come visit you to see how you're doing.
It's amazing how finding something we truly desire inspires us to do what's necessary to get it ~ at least when we're young.
I wonder what happens when we "grow up". Is it the desire that lessens or are we simply less inspired? Are some of us less willing to work for what we truly desire? Perhaps we find the price too high? Hmmm....
All I know is that your story, your memories, made me want to jump on my old bicycle and feel the freedom of childhood again!
But, then I realized, I don't need a bicyle. None of do! Not if we still have that desire and we're still willing to pay the asking price. ;)
I also read your last post. I think it's wonderful that people still think you and your husband are newlyweds. Well, wonderful for you & your husband; not so wonderful for them.
I think you're correct. I think spouses should enjoy spending time together. They should enjoy each other. They should tell each other little inside jokes and share giggles, secret glances and knowing smiles.
I don't really know much about you, Jenn; but, I do know a bit more now. And I know that you and your husband have it right!!!! Congratulations to the both of you!
Hugs and Love,
6/Wendy
Post a Comment