Monday, October 20, 2008

In the attics of my life...

With rings on my fingers and bells on my shoes, I danced in the parking lot. We traveled like one large hippie gang up and down the coast to see the band we lived and breathed for.

We were young enough that our part-time jobs allowed us to go on frequent spring, summer, and fall tours. We were never looking for a miracle of "one ticket.' We were professional concert goers. We relied on mail-order tickets.

We lived on peanut butter crackers and Snapple. We sold tie-dyed t-shirts at shows to pay for our tickets, gas, and food. For years we would see the same regulars all over the country. A smile and a nod to each other acknowledged each others deadication to our favorite band.

We were light in spirit and welcomed those of like minds.

Patchouli, incense, and marijuana were the smells that wafted through the air in a potent mixture. Drums, guitars and tinkling bells were always in the background. It was my traveling home away from home.

There was a kinship in the hardcore crowd. Peace, love, and sharing.

I knew I could be clothed, fed, and entertained for free in an emergency by complete strangers. I would've done the same for somebody else.

It is a lifetime away from me now, but I look back on my time well spent and I thank God for the Grateful Dead.

2 comments:

Original Punk L said...

I love this post, Jennicula. That is something that you will carry with you always. Do you sometimes wish that you could just take off and do that again? Or could it even be duplicated? Moments in time to store in the memory and bring back out when you need a smile.

Hope you are doing well today. Are you getting ready for Halloween? What do you guys do for the holiday?

Love ya,
L.

Original Punk L said...

Hey, Jennicula. How are you today? I know what you mean about going back to a different time. Something that special can only happen once, and can never be duplicated. Doesn't mean there won't be more special moments in the future, and we hold on to the feeling we had then.

I've always said the same about Mayo's. No matter what happens, I really think this was the first of it's kind for Blogger, maybe on any blog. It's not all sweet and kind, but it definitly has been different! I found and met some of the most wonderful people there, people who are not only part of my bloger family, but are part of my life now. I will always be grateful to Mayo, whoever he may be, for that.

Miss seeing you around the Castle, even though I know why and do understand. J. and I take a lot of crap from anons, but I don't know, it seems to be calming down. (Fingers crossed!) Oh, and J. just yelled "Tell her 'HI!"

Lizzie Bordon! I like that. What did you wear for that costume. I assume you had the bloody axe?! Hope you have a great time at your party.

J. and I are probably going to stay home for actual Halloween. We have a jet black cat, so she doesn't like to leave him alone on the actual date, just in case someone decides to look for a black cat. When we lived in Chattanooga, there was one year where several cats went missing a few days prior to Halloween, all black. So we are a little cautious.
Ours is a Bombay, a mix between a black American Shorthair and a Burmese. He looks like a mini-panther!

We usually watch movies or Most Haunted, so that will probably be the norm this year!

Take care!

Love,
L.